Monday, September 1, 2008

Handfuls of Purpose


Many years ago Mrs. Charles Cowman, the author of the well-known devotional Streams in the Desert, wrote a little book called Handfuls of Purpose.  The words are taken from Ruth 2:15 and 16 - "And when she (Ruth) was risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not: and let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not."

Boaz asked his men to drop handfuls of grain on purpose.  Even though those handfuls would cause Ruth extra work, even though she would have a long day, even though it was hot and her companions in the field were not always friendly.  He knew that at the end of the day, she would be able to look back with joy on her accomplishments.  She would be thankful for the blessing of God on her life.  She would bless her family by doing her daily tasks well.

In the same way, the Master of our field drops handfuls on purpose for us.  Perhaps its a husband, or homeschooling our children, or keeping the house clean and making meals.  For others it may include an outside job or taking care of a child or parent with a chronic illness.  It could be that some of those handfuls are people who are hard for us to love or situations that we don't understand, or that are overwhelming to us.  The handfuls God leaves for us are not only left on purpose, they are also handfuls of purpose.  Embraced rightly, each task, person, challenge, meal, or homeschool lesson will produce character in our life and fruit for eternity.  

Personally, I am so thankful for GraceWorks and the part that the planners have played in my life.  They were a "handful of purpose" from the Lord at a time that I really needed them.  Now, after looking at each page in detail, I'm realizing even more what a blessing these are and I can't wait to share them with you!  My goal in this blog is to introduce you to each page we carry and explain them to you, so that you will be able to make informed decisions according to your needs.  Each of us have very different needs and personalities.  I may struggle with taking my vitamins everyday, while you may struggle with making time to read your Bible.   Jenny may want a place to record the cute things that her two year old is saying and the day the new baby first smiled, while Linda may need pages to write her lesson plans out for homeschooling next week and a place to record grades.  Aunt Sally may need help keeping her home clean and organized and Mrs. Stitch may need to write down the appointments for her sewing business.  No two of us have been given the same handfuls of purpose from the Lord, but we can all use a little help keeping focused so that at the end of the day we can look back with joy on our accomplishments and thank the Lord for His blessings in our life, knowing that we blessed our family and those around us by doing our daily tasks well.

Now - as a treat for those of you who have read this far - I'd like to give away a set of note cards to one of you who leaves a comment on this post.  I'll choose a name on Friday, so be sure to check back then!!  Thank you so much for stopping by today!

Because of His Grace,
Mrs. GraceWorks

5 comments:

Marilyn Royston said...

Hi Tricia,
I've enjoyed keeping up with what you are doing with "simply stamping" and now with this new venture. I've never heard of this program before but look forward to learning more about it. I'll keep checking back.
Marilyn Royston

Junieb said...

Tricia,
Hello!! I got my Beautiful Life
Management system last week. I have listened to all the tapes and I'm sooooo excited to implement this in my life. I am so motivated
and have started making changes already. I took the planner to church on Sun. to show it off! I am so blessed to have read about your system on simplystamping; what a blessing at this time in my life when I really needed it! I pray your business will flourish!
Blessings . . . june

Carrie said...

You always make beautiful cards..Can't wait to see what you have in store for this blog.

Shirley said...

Hey Tricia! Congratulations on your new company! I know you will be a blessing to many! I emailed you about trying to decide which system I should get. I'll look forward to e chatting when you have a chance!!

Love & Miss ya!
Shirley

ColumbusMama said...

I just received my new planner today. I have had so much fun setting it up and getting it ready. With a lot of appointments and upcoming commitments, this planner will help me "stay on top of things." This is the planner that I have been looking for to help organize my home and our family life.