Monday, October 13, 2008

What are you doing?

The Lord has really been working in my heart lately about my ... laziness?  selfishness??  lack of focus on Him??? - maybe all of the above.  I've just begun to realize how many things I put off simply because they aren't fun or easy to me.  For example.  I don't enjoy doing the dishes.  I do enjoy spending time with my family over the dinner table.  So... we spend a lot of time talking and laughing with each other and then it's "late" and I'm "tired" so I put them off until tomorrow and wake up with a mountain of dishes to greet me in the morning.  This week I'm going to try to really meditate on this verse from James.  "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin."  I know that doing the dishes is a better use of my time than sitting and checking my email.  I know that piecing a quilt for a tablerunner for Christmas is a better use of my time (and money!) than going shopping for more quilt material.  I know that picking up my room is a better use of my time than sitting down with a book, and I know that spending time in the Word is a better use of my time than playing piano for 2 hours.  Of course I will still check my email, go shopping, read an occasional book and practice the piano, but they are not my priorities.  As the old illustration goes - If I fill my jar with the large rocks first (my Godly priorities), I can still fit in the smaller rocks, the sand, and even some water (everything else in my life!).  If I add the sand, small rocks and water first, however, the large rocks will never fit.

How does the "jar" of your life look today?  Are you accomplishing the "good" that you know you should do?  Or are you putting it off and spending all of your time on non-essentials?  Let's see how diligent we can be for the Lord today!!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

The Lord has been teaching me simular things as I have been reading 2 Peter 1 and Jim Bergs book, Essential Virtues.

Marcia said...

I am enjoying going back and reading your posts. I need to focus on that verse too.
Marcia