Monday, November 17, 2008

Ways to Use It - Abiding in Christ Pages




The Abiding with Christ page from our Classic Devotional Collection is such a blessing!! The front of the sheet has lines to jot down a note or thought or prayer that is on your heart each day. It is meant to be used in conjunction with your time in the Word, and to encourage you to seek the Lord daily.




The back of the page is a little more vague, so you can use it however it will bless you the most. The thought process behind it is this. A lot of times we spend our days doing and doing and doing, but when we reach the end of the week we realize that we haven't made time for some of the things that are really important to us.

First - the letters E, V, W. They stand for exercise, vitamins and water. How often do we forget to take care of ourselves, in our efforts to care for others?! Here's what I do to fill in the rest of the lines. At the beginning of the week - today would be good - I sit down and write out the areas that are listed on the Exchanging Each Moment sheet...

Definitive word
Spiritual
Relationships
Work/Enrichment

And then make a list of things that I would love to accomplish in each of those areas this week.

For example - Although you could choose a word that describes each day, I've chosen one word - Purpose - for the whole week. This week, my goal is to keep my eye on what I'm to be doing and not get sidetracked, or I won't get it all done. I need to complete the things that are important to me and that will count for eternity. Each evening I'll reflect on that word and jot down what the Lord is teaching me.

Spiritual - I want to memorize 3 verses by Tuesday and another 3 by Friday. I want to journal and read my Bible this week and I have certain people I'm praying for. If I live my life on *purpose* (there's that word again!), I'll make time to do these things and they won't get lost in the shuffle. I can jot down things relating to those goals each day. i.e. "quoted Ps 17:9, reviewed verses, read Matt 6 ." or "Had a great talk with the mailman about the Lord" or "Laurie's daughter sick - needs prayer."

Relationship - This is a section to think about others. I'm expecting company this weekend, so some of my goals realate to that this week, I try to think of a way to bless someone every day, especially my husband, because sometimes he just gets the "leftovers" of my time and energy. Working on relationships may include playing a game with my teens, or writing a note to someone, or sending out birthday cards. Maybe it will be visiting someone, having someone over for dessert, or making pumpkin/chocolate chip muffins for an after school snack. Your relationship section gives you a chance to think back through your day and determine if you were pleasing to the Lord in your interaction with others.

Work/Enrichment - These are things that I would like to complete or work on this week. Maybe it will be a craft project that haven't made time to start, maybe it will be practicing an instrument, or making homeschool lesson plans. Perhaps there are things that you need to get done for work, or projects you're working on for church. I know that I am much more likely to work on a quilt or a cross-stitch project if I've "set aside" time to do it during the week, and it feels wonderful to check something off your "to do someday" list!!

The other line is Mercy/Blessing - I use this for blessings received, but it could be used for ways you blessed others. I love to think of 5 things I was grateful for that day before I go to sleep. It is a much better way to fall asleep than worrying! :)

So, there you have it. I don't know if that is the "right" way to use the sheet, but it works for me. I'd love to hear how you tweak it to make it your own!

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I have not had to order pages for quite awhile and so when I got on and saw the new look, I have been perusing the site. I love this blog section. What you wrote about this page that I have never seen is wonderful. I can't wait to order this. Marcia Hansen