Saturday, November 28, 2009

How are your fields?

In Proverbs 24:30-34 says, "I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; and lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down. Then I saw, and considered it well: I looked upon it, and received instruction. Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall they poverty come as one that travelleth; and the want as an armed man."

Wow. These verses really rebuked me right now, but they encouraged me, too. It was a rebuke because there are a number of different areas of my life right now that look like that field. What once was well-kept and well kept up has been neglected for things that are more enjoyable, easier to do, or more immediately rewarding. Instead of making some things a priority to maintain and upgrade, I've settled for not dealing with them until they are an eyesore or demand immediate attention. Ouch.

The encouragement is that I can heed the warning and begin again. I can take some time to pray through my list of priorities. Then I can determine if there are things in the way of my doing what I should be doing. Off the top of my head a few things that come to mind are lack of space, too much time on the computer, being over committed, and needing further knowledge of how to go about doing something. These are definitely problems, but avoiding them rather than facing them will only lead to decay and decline in my home, my family and my other responsibilities. Once I have the problems pinpointed, I can ask the Lord to give me the wisdom to deal with the obstacles in a creative way. I can then establish some new routines and begin to restore my "fields".

This is not at all what I started out to write today, I was actually looking up another verse in Proverbs and the Lord directed my attention to these verses instead. That the message was for me couldn't have been any clearer if the verses had been written in fluorescent ink with my name in front of them. I'm going to go make that list now.



2 comments:

Glen said...

Hi Tricia!
Thanks for sharing this ~ it definitely speaks to my heart!
Blessings!
Jerrine

Cheryl said...

After reading this I really need to take a look at my routine lately and change some things. Always blessed by your posts.