Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Right Hand

My attention was caught this morning as I was reading a verse from Psalm 73. Verse 23 reads, "Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand." I'm sure I've read it before and just the picture of being hand in hand with the God of the universe brings comfort. But as I thought about it this morning I realized something else. In the Bible it often speaks of the "right hand of His power" - Exodus 15:6 and 15:12 are perfect examples. It is with His right hand that He crushes His enemies and protects His people. Now, think about the verse again. In order for me to hold my son's right hand, unless I am shaking hands with him, his right hand is in my left hand, which leaves my right hand free. What struck me about that picture is this... If the "right hand" is a picture of power, then by holding my right hand it makes *my* power null and void, but leaves His power unhindered. Isn't that precious??? In the context of this passage, the Psalmist has been trying to figure out the age-old question of why the wicked prosper. He realizes the answer in verses 18-20 ... all they have is here and all the power they have is their own. But he has God's power, God's comfort and God's promises. God holds him by his right hand. Take a minute today and read Psalm 73. I know it will be a blessing to you!!


2 comments:

Hope said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have been pondering it all morning. I am going to be sharing this with my children. Blessings to you and yours.

stitchinfiend said...

I have never thought of this before - thanks for sharing. On Saturday afternoon we were doing a class on how to dig deep into the Bible and our Pastor said that we will find things that a unique and that no one else has realised and this is a great example.