Saturday, January 16, 2010

Small Things

It seems that my weeks lately have been filled with gobs and gobs of details... Small things... Loose ends... Questions that I don't know the answers to... Lots of deadlines... Lots of goals... and I just can't seem to catch up. I'm so thankful for my planner right now and I can't even *think* about not making the time to keep up with it!

Sometimes when we get overwhelmed like this - whether it is related to our 'littles' or our lives - it is good to step back and refresh ourselves with God's perspective. As David says in Psalm 61:2, "From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Sometimes we just need to be able to "go to the rock" and assess the situation from a different vantage point. If you are walking through an unknown woods, you can feel lost and alone, but if you saw that same "forest" from a high cliff, you may see that it is only a small stand of trees next to a beautiful meadow. Having God's perspective can clarify issues and put things into proportion in our lives in just the same way.

Zechariah 4:10a is an encouragement to me when my time is spent (seemingly) running in circles. "For who has despised the day of small things?" Zechariah's prophecy encouraged the people who were rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem. Although the work didn't seem to be making progress, the end result would be the restoration of the temple. Our work, too, will be completed. Even if lots of our days are seemingly filled with "small things" (or sometimes small people - for those of you with young children!).

Blessings!

2 comments:

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

Oh, I am going to read through that verse tomorrow morning. I often get very busy with all the little things of the day and sometimes get frustrated that I can't get to all the things on my to do list!

Cheryl said...

As always Tricia your post has been a blessing. You seem to have just what I need at the right time!