Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Practical Lesson...

Oops! I published it early! This is your Sunday post for the week!!

-------------------------

When I think about loving Christ and being submissive to Him, it occurs to me that I need to know better what He likes and dislikes. I need to spend time with Him by reading His Word, and talk to him in prayer. If I really am submissive to Him, I will recognize His authority over me. I am grateful that His authority is tempered by mercy, grace and love, but it is an authority nonetheless. I will look for ways that I can please Him and do things that will bring Him honor from those around me, because of the way I respond, the way I act, even the way I carry myself and the way I dress. I'll have a sweet spirit, even if the circumstances are less than favorable and I won't blame Him, but trust Him.

You may have just read that list saying, "Yes, I know. And I'm really, really working on it!" But wait! If those things are true about our submission to Christ, then look at this verse and see if you're struck the same way that I was last night at Bible study.

" Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing." Ephesians 5:24

I'm sure I've read it many times and heard it preached and taught more than that, but I don't remember ever realizing how *practical* this instruction is for any of us who have ever wondered what submission to our husband really looks like fleshed out. Most of us think that if we obey with a sweet spirit we're submissive, and if we don't, we're not. But I think this verse shows us that in practice submission is much more than that, and that even those in great marriages could use some improvement. Look at the list we made above. If I am going to be subject to my husband like I am to Christ, then I need to know better what He likes and dislikes. I need to spend time with him, and truly listen when he speaks. I need to communicate with him - respectfully. Can you imagine talking to God in prayer like you have sometimes thought about speaking to your husband?? If I truly want to love and submit to my husband, I also need to recognize his place of authority and actively look for ways that I can please him. I need to check my words, my actions and my responses - even my dress! - to be sure that they will cause others to think highly of him. I need to have a sweet spirit when circumstances are not so sweet, and I need to not blame him, but trust him. Can you *imagine* how encouraging this would be to your spouse? If you're anything like me, a few of those made you say "ouch." Let's see how we can practise *this kind* of loving submission this week!

Blessings!

1 comment:

Junieb said...

Yes, like you, a few of these made me say "ouch" but I needed this reminder today!! I have a passion to see more joyful, truly connected marriages in the church, so today it starts with me . . . now I am off to get a job done that my husband asked me to do! :-)