Sunday, March 7, 2010

Seeing Like a Blind Man

Over and over as I've read through the life of Christ, I've met some people whose goodness puts me to shame. They know the Scriptures, they are well-known in the community, they enjoy giving great amounts of money to God's work, and they love to pray. What I can't fathom is how these could also be the people that totally missed who Christ was. By spending so much time trying to be good and show other people how good they were, they missed the fact that outward goodness cannot redeem a sinful heart.

But somewhere on the road, there sat a blind man who had heard about Jesus. He knew he was blind. He knew there was no hope for him. He knew he was an outcast from society and a sinner, and he knew that only the coming Messiah could save him - both in this life and forever. So he cried out. And Jesus stopped. And the blind man was healed, not because of his goodness, but because of his faith. Oh what a treasure!

I am thrilled with his response, too. When the Pharisees - the religious people I talked about earlier - did something good, they wanted everyone to praise them. After all - they were good! But when the blind man was healed, "immediately he...followed Him, glorifying God: and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God." (Luke 18:43) All the praise went to God, all the honor went to God, and it inspired love for God and gratitude for God's amazing grace in those around him.

So how about you and me? Do we do the things we do so others will see what a good job we've done and pat us on the back? Or do we see ourselves as we really are and turn all praise to God and inspire others to love and honor Him as well? Do *you* see as well as the blind man? That's what I want my life to be like!

May God be glorified through our lives this week!


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Enjoyed your post, it went so well with our Sunday School lesson this morning on Paul. How Paul did not want the Corinthian people to look to him or anyone else. That he wanted his teaching and life to lead them to look to God. That others should see Christ through us. What a challenge for each of us, something I want to be more aware of in my own life. What do people see in me.