Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Very Present Help

A Very Present Help ~ by Annie Johnson Flint

He's helping me now ~ this moment,
Though I may not see it or hear.
Perhaps by a friend far distant,
Perhaps by a stranger near.
Perhaps by a spoken message,
Perhaps by the printed word;
In ways that I know and know not,
I have the help of the Lord.

He's keeping me now ~ this moment,
However I need it most.
Perhaps by a single angel,
Perhaps by a mighty host.
Perhaps by the chain that frets me,
Or the walls that shut me in;
In ways that I know and know not,
He keeps me from harm and sin.

He's guiding me now ~ this moment,
In pathways easy or hard,
Perhaps by a door wide open,
Perhaps by a door fast barred.
Perhaps by a joy withholden,
Perhaps by a gladness given;
In ways that I know and know not,
He's leading me on to Heaven.

He's using me now ~ this moment,
And whether I go or stand,
Perhaps by a plan accomplished,
Perhaps when He stays my hand.
Perhaps by a word in season,
Perhaps by a silent prayer;
In ways that I know and know not,
His labor of love I share.

***

I love this poem. It is on my bedside table and my eyes fall on it often. Sometimes I tend to get overwhelmed and frustrated when I get "off schedule". My plans fall apart, or simply don't get made in the first place, because life intervenes, and I feel like I've failed to "get it all done." Then I try to get back on track and its just like starting all over again. Isn't it a blessing to realize that God never gets "off schedule"? He is using each frustration, each blessing, each joy and each chain in our lives to help us, guide us, and keep us. And He can use us, even on those days that nothing seems to go like we want it to, as we show His love to others.


No comments: