Saturday, April 24, 2010

Memorizing...

Do you struggle with memorizing Scripture? When I was a little girl I learned hundreds of verses, many of which I still remember, but as I've gotten older, I haven't worked as hard to memorize God's Word, even though I know how important it is. This past weekend, at the ladies' retreat, I paged through a book called, His Word in my Heart, and ran across a section that encouraged memorizing entire passages of Scripture, meditating on them as you go. It sounded like a wonderful idea, so this week I've been working on memorizing Psalm 37. I started out the first day with just one verse. I read it through and said it a few times and then I left my Bible open on a table in the living room so I could "double check" it here and there. Pretty soon, I had that verse down, so I looked at the next one, and so on and so forth. It's been one of those weeks that I've spent more time in the car than at home, so I've been practicing the verses whenever I have a quiet minute, even while falling asleep at night, or doing the dishes. Because the verses are short, I'm up to verse 8, and, hopefully, by the end of May I'll have the entire chapter memorized - plus I'll have saturated my mind with God's Word for a whole month. How exciting! I'd love for each of you to join me on my journey! Pick a favorite chapter and just dive in. What a wonderful way redeem our time and think on things that are virtuous and praiseworthy!!

Have a blessed week!


2 comments:

Desiree said...

Our church did a seminar on memorization recently. Writing it down on 3x5 cards and going over them daily til they are memorized. Moving the memorized verse to a weekly section and still reviewing it on a weekly basis for a while then on a monthly basis. It has really helped me memorize some scriptures I may not have otherwise memorized. God bless

Terrie - The Stitch Store said...

Awesome!