Saturday, August 14, 2010

"The Sword of the Spirit...


...which is the Word of God."

I thought I'd drop in and let you all know how my memorizing Scripture project was going. I can't tell you how amazing it has been. I can't encourage you **enough** to work on it yourself!!

As I've finished memorizing the book of Philippians, I've seen so many verses in a new light. There are so many verses that we use all the time as "stand alone" promises. Verses like, " My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." What I didn't realize was that in the verses previous, Paul was thanking the Philippians for the gift they had sent to him. A gift that, according to verse 18, had been a sacrifice. That's where that verse comes in. The people had given sacrificially, and God would provide for them.

Another verse that I noticed was, "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me." We use it often as a blanket statement covering anything in our lives we want to do. But in the chapter, it follows a section where Paul is talking about being under constant instruction - **always learning** - to be full, to be hungry, to abound, to suffer need. That was encouraging to me, because it means he hadn't mastered it. It was a struggle for him, too! But Paul was enabled and strengthened to find comfort in Christ and continue serving God no matter what the circumstances. It makes me smile that he points out in the next verse that even though he was learning to be content with little, he was certainly happy for the gift they sent! :-)

There are other tidbits here and there that have fallen into place as I've quoted the book, that I never really saw as "important" when I hadn't spent time really thinking about it on a daily basis. What a precious gift this has become for me!!

I haven't been able to decide where to start next. Another chapter in Psalms?? John 15?? I think I'll take some time tomorrow after church to decide and start to write them into my 3x5 card notebook. I have 6 cards left at the end of my Philippians verses. Maybe I'll choose a short Psalm and then start again with another New Testament book. I've "tasted" that the Lord is good, and I want to continue in His Word!!!

Have a blessed week!!

2 comments:

nursefriendly said...

I am inspired by your post. To memorize an entire book is awesome! What a way to transcribe God's word on your heart. I memorized most of Romans chapter 12 (I need a prompt here and there), but I will move up to entire books. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Holly said...

I'm working on Romans myself. As a family(in the evening)we are working on Ps 66, and in the morning, on Isaiah 52(just the last verses)and 53, so there's a good bit to keep track of!
I did find a good tool for that at simplycharlottemason.com. They have some Scripture memory pages to download and print that have really helped us with reviewing those earlier passages so they aren't forgotten!