Friday, September 3, 2010

Finding Joy in the Journey

Have you ever read that saying? "Finding Joy in the Journey"? I'd never really "gotten it", until I happened on a blog post this morning that really put it into focus for me. It was talking about the Amish, and how the Amish ladies find as much joy in the process of doing things as in the finished work. It didn't matter whether it was preparing a meal, making a quilt, or working in the yard. Whatever they happened to be doing was where their heart was. It really stood out to me as a tangible picture of the verse, "Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I tend to see that verse as "make sure your finished project brings glory to God", rather than, "make sure that your attitude and actions as you work on this project bring glory to God". If I have a clean home and an attitude of resentment because I had to do it all by myself, then I haven't been finding "joy in the journey", but if I can rejoice in the time I spend doing the dishes, folding the clothes and doing the budget - as much as I might rejoice in the time I get to spend reading my Bible, talking to my husband, doing cross stitch, or making a card - then each moment will be a blessing to others and glorify God in the process.

May you find joy in the journey!


2 comments:

Jenn said...

I understand what you are saying and recognized my need for this as well. I take great pleasure in accomplishing something and coloring in that little circle in my planner. I am so focused on completing it when I should also learn to take more pleasure in the doing.

nursefriendly said...

Tricia,

God spoke directly to my heart through this entry. My focus has been all wrong. I have not brought God glory in my attitude as I worked today. I am so convicted by your timely message. I repented and asked my Father God to show me how to find joy in everything that I do.