Monday, April 30, 2012

Beautiful Music

I'm working through my list this morning while listening to a beautiful CD of piano and orchestra playing glorious hymns of the faith.  If you love the old hymns like I do... "The Love of God", "His Eye is on the Sparrow", "Near to the Heart of God", you would enjoy this CD.  Here's the link! : )

http://www.greghowlett.com/order.aspx#journey

It's called "Reflections on a Journey" and it is beautiful!  I'm thinking it will be a Christmas gift for a number of people on my list this year!!

With music in mind here's your Happy Monday prompt for today...

One of my favorite hymns is....  because....


I have so many favorites, but one that means a lot to me is the song "More Love to Thee, O Christ", especially the verse that says, "Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest.  Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best."  I am sad to say that I still struggle with this.  I would like God's best, of course.  I think we all would.  But oftentimes we limit that to what we would consider to be best.  A life of peace, ease, comfort, with all of our wants (not just our needs) supplied.  We would like a car that runs well, a nice house, no aches and pains, and people that appreciate us.  And it is hard to get out of that mindset because the world around us and even our church friends tell us we "deserve" it.  "You deserve this vacation because you've worked so hard."  "You deserve this new dress (car, house, cup of Starbucks coffee) because you are a nice person."  But what if you lived a comfortable life here and got all the nice things that you "deserved" but ended up in eternity separated from God.  Would it be worth it??

That reminds me of another old hymn written in 1873 by Frances Havergal.  I believe it is old enough to be out of copyright, so I'll include the words here...

I could not do without thee, O Saviour of the lost,
Whose precious blood redeemed me at such tremendous cost.
Thy righteousness, thy pardon, thy precious blood must be
My only hope and comfort, my glory and my plea.

I could not do without Thee, I cannot stand alone,
I have no strength or goodness, no wisdom of my own;
But Thou, beloved Saviour, art all in all to me,
And weakness will be power if leaning hard on Thee.

I could not do without Thee, for, oh, the way is long,
And I am often weary, and sigh replaces song:
How could I do without Thee?  I do not know the way;
Thou knowest, and Thou leadest,
And wilt not let me stray.

I could not do without Thee, O Jesus, Saviour dear;
E'en when my eyes are holden, I know that thou art near.
How dreary and how lonely this changeful life would be,
Without the sweet communion, the secret rest with Thee!

I could not do without Thee, for years are fleeting fast,
And soon in solemn loneliness the river must be passed;
But Thou wilt never leave me, and though the waves roll high,
I know thou wilt be near me, and whisper, "It is I".


Have a blessed Monday,

Tricia

No comments: