Monday, May 21, 2012

Discouragement

Do you ever get discouraged?  I must admit that sometimes when I read the Bible, or think about verses that I've read I feel so helpless to understand all the depth that is there that I get discouraged.   For example, this morning I read the verses, "My grace is sufficient for thee, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly, therefore, will I glory in mine infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  Aren't those rich verses??  There is SO much there that I feel like I am only scratching the surface with my understanding.  I know that they are especially "for me" today.  But what part?  I understand it intellectually - if I am physically and spiritually "strong", what do I need of Christ?  But as I come to Him fully aware of how weak and helpless I am, then and only then am I able to take hold of His strength and display it in my life.  In that way, then, I am pleased that I am weak, because it is the avenue God has chosen to display His power.  Now how do I put it into practice??  Where do I start??

As I read back over my post, I feel the Spirit nudge me.  I think sometimes writing out our thoughts helps, like on our Quiet Time or Morning Latte pages, because the "next step" is right there in front of me.  I am feeling helpless - therefore I am weak and need Christ.  Praise the Lord!!  So my next step is to go to Him - in all my weakness - give that weakness to Him and exchange it for His grace - His strength.  What is His strength?  "The joy of the Lord is Your strength."  What will that look like in my life??   "Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and long-suffering with joyfulness."  As I rest in Him, exchanging my weakness for His power, I will become more patient -- more longsuffering -- and more joyful.  Not murmuring and complaining because of the area of weakness, but joyful because I have an opportunity to set self aside and let others see the love of God instead.

Are you discouraged this morning?  I pray the Lord will give you "beauty for ashes, and the oil of JOY for mourning" and that you will be able to bless others today as you become a walking testimony to His grace.

Here's a Happy Monday prompt for today...

There is joy in my heart today because...


Have a blessed week!

Tricia

1 comment:

Victoria Foxx said...

Did you write this post for me today? I am fighting against the spirit of discouragement even now and it's after lunch. Thanks for the reminder to seek His joy and strength!!

Wondering if I will see you at CHEA later this week? I always enjoy talking with you and your daughter.
Vicki