Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Plans

Good afternoon!

Are you gearing up for summer vacation?  When my children were younger I loved to make a summer list of projects for them to work on.  In fact, I just found one of my lists today when I was doing some cleaning!  This list was for one of my daughters (many years ago!) and included things like, "Make two knitted dishcloths.  Keep a gratitude journal.  Get 10 hours of sleep.  Play the Farming Game with Mom.   Practise Violin.  Learn to bake muffins.  Follow Bible Reading Chart.  Write to Grandma."  It really helped me to sit down before school ended and make some goals for each child that were both fun and character-building.  After a year of home-schooling, I didn't want them to totally "vegetate" during the summer, but neither did I want it to be too structured.  Having a list of pre-thought out projects was my answer!  I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that we probably never met the entire list of goals.  We went to parades and the 4th of July carnival, we spent a day at the zoo, and we watched lots of Little Bear videos.  But, on the other hand, although most of them may not have been accomplished that particular summer, it's interesting to see that almost all of them have been met now, and are a part of who she is.  Because I had thought through and written down the goals, they directed my training of her over the years, even if they weren't met on my original time-table.

How about you?  Do you have any goals for the summer -- for your children or even for yourself?  Maybe you would like to add more vegetables into your diet and shop at a local farmer's market.  Perhaps you would like to put up a bird feeder, plant a windowbox of flowers, memorize a chapter of Scripture, use your planner more faithfully, or complete a scrapbook.  Take some time to write down your thoughts and refer back to them each week.  You might be surprised to see how many of them you make progress on this summer!!

Here's a Happy Monday Prompt for today...

Something I would like to do this summer is...


Blessings!

Tricia

No comments: