Monday, September 24, 2012

Homemade Fall

As the days have begun to cool and the the leaves have begun to fall, my thoughts have been wandering to warm, cozy kitchens filled with wonderful-smelling fall treats.  One of my family's favorites is homemade applesauce.  Most years I make my applesauce from MacIntosh or Cortland apples fresh from the orchard because I love their sweet / tart flavor.  This year, before the Cortlands were ready, I had picked up a bag of new crop Paula Red apples to munch on.  They were sweet and delicious, but, unfortunately, they were too soft an apple for my family to enjoy eating raw, so I decided to try making sauce with the rest of the bag.  I am SO glad that I did!  These apples cook up wonderfully - hardly any mashing required! - and they are so sweet that we didn't need to add any sugar.  Yay!!

Does the idea of homemade applesauce sound daunting?  It really doesn't need to be.  Here's is how I make mine...

1.  Peel and core apples, and cut into quarters into a large pan. (You can leave the skins on if you prefer and don't mind the little extra texture in the finished product.)
2.  Add a little water... enough to cover the bottom of the pan.  I think for a 3 lb bag of apples I probably use 1/2-3/4 cup of water.
3.  Cover apples and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until soft.  If the apples  seem dry as they cook, add a bit more water.  If they look like they are drowning, pour a little out. : )
4.  When the apples are soft, simply mash them with your spoon, or pulse them in a blender to the consistency you prefer.  Cool to lukewarm.  Add sugar to taste, if desired.

As with most things, your first batch may be a bit of an experiment, but with some practice I think you will find it a fun thing to add to your stock of autumn recipes.  Oh, by the way, some people in my family enjoy it warm and others cold.  I'm one of the ones that likes it better warm.  It reminds me of apple pie filling. : )

Do you have a favorite fall recipe?  A coffee drink? Caramel apples or caramel corn?  Donuts?  Feel free to leave a comment, because I'd love to hear about it!!

Your Happy Monday prompt for today...

A food that reminds me of Fall is...

Blessings!



No comments: