Monday, October 1, 2012

Looking Ahead

Hello Dear Friends!

I was thinking about the Proverbs 31 woman the other day as I added the pages for the next few months into my planner.  One of the many things that I love about her is that she was always looking ahead and acting on ways to make her family comfortable and her home run smoothly in the future.  She sought out material and food, she made beautiful clothing and home decor (bedcoverings, and scarlet clothing!), she was prepared for the winter and could smile when she thought about the future.  Yet, I don't ever read or even get the impression that she was a flustered, hurried person, trying to get it all done at the last minute.  On the contrary, while she always seemed to be busy, she seems to flow from one task to another almost effortlessly, harmonizing the urgent with the important, and the "do now" projects with those that had no set date, but "will need to be done by the time the snow flies".   As I sat with my planner, looking at my many opportunities and obligations, my first thought was, "Is it even possible for me to be this type of person??   Can I - Mrs. "I'm not sure where I'm going, but I want to get there fast" - really learn to live with steady persistence and slowly but surely prepare future blessings for my home and family?"  Do you want to know the verse the Lord brought to mind??  "The fruit of the Spirit is... temperance."  Temperance, Lord?

a : habitual moderation in the indulgence of the appetites or passions



Hmmmm.... could that mean not getting so caught up in a task that everything else gets left behind and I have to spend another day catching up which puts me further behind so that I finally get sick and ...  ???  That's it!  A temperate woman doesn't get so caught up in the "now" that she forgets to look to the future.  She doesn't give up on her "daily routines" while she works on other projects.  She is willing to give up some fun things in her life,  to save time or money for things that will be truly needed - not just wanted - later.  She can enjoy her times of recreation, but not be so given to them that she dreads or avoids work.  She is able to portion out her day to different responsibilities, and is able to see that her "merchandise is good" without requiring a perfection that would keep her from completing all that lies ahead.

A temperate woman is "habitual".  She has habits of moderation.  We can establish habits and routines in our lives, too, that will help us order our days.  The "First Things First" habits of making our beds, getting dressed, spending time with the Lord, gathering items early - rather than rushing to find them as we run out the door, looking at our Long Term project lists, thinking ahead to "What's for Dinner", and even daily decluttering are all habits that will bear fruit in our lives and be a blessing to our family.
It is so easy to say, "I don't really want to do that right now, and it won't matter if I skip it just this once", but a temperate woman moderates her passions - the things her "self" wants, and pushes ahead, rather than indulging herself!  Will it be hard? YES!!  In fact, I believe it will be impossible on your own!  Not to establish habits, of course, - many people can do that - but to have habits with meaning.  Temperance is a fruit of the Spirit in our life.  I like to think of it as a calmly happy obedience to God's will.  Not just going through motions or rituals over and over, but a realization that learning to control our "self" will be a source of blessing as we serve Him and others without hurry and frustration.  When we have routines and habits in place our home can be a more peaceful haven for our family and friends.  And we can be more peaceful, too.

Blessings!

Mrs. GraceWorks

ps - Do you need some encouragement to start or re-start your routines??  Email me at gracewrks@gmail.com and ask for a copy of the 28 Day challenge.  The beginning of fall is the perfect time to begin again!

Today's Happy Monday prompt...
I look forward to...



No comments: