Monday, January 28, 2013

A Special Blessing

On Saturday, when I visited my parents, my Dad turned on a CD of beautiful Christian music that one of their friends had given them.  Many of the selections were older hymns set to a new tune and they were just lovely to listen to.  During the course of the day while my daughter and I talked to my Mom, I noticed that she was concentrating much better than normal, and was able to complete thoughts and sentences with less hesitation.  "How interesting!", I thought, "I wonder if the music is helping her?"  As a test to my theory, I brought out a number of objects that Mom has continually had a hard time identifying since her stroke in July...  a pen, a chair, a flashlight, keys, and more.  She was able to give me the name of each of them with very little hesitation or help!  Another thing that I noticed was that her attention span was longer and she didn't get as fatigued as usual when we worked with her - doing a puzzle, a game and a word search puzzle - until the music stopped.  Within minutes, she was tired and couldn't think.  Isn't it interesting -- the power of music on our minds?  One of my daughters who struggles with the "brain fog" of celiac disease is able to concentrate by keeping one side of her brain busy listening to classical music while she studies or writes.  I, personally, am helped by a beautiful CD of piano hymns when I have a migraine.  It reminds me of David playing his harp for Saul to soothe and calm him when the evil spirit would harass him.  Music can be such a blessing to us!  How is the music that you have in your home?  Does it soothe and comfort -- pointing your mind toward Christ?  Or does it further agitate you when you are feeling stressed?  How wonderful it is when our music adds to the peace of our homes!!

Here's a Happy Monday prompt for you this week...
When I listen to music I...

No comments: