Monday, January 14, 2013

Make Ahead Monday

Good morning, afternoon, everyone!

Today has been the second installment of "Make Ahead Monday" at my house.  I'm pretty sure that I saw that cute phrase - Make Ahead Monday - on another blog, but I don't remember where, so please tell me if you know who I should credit for it!! : )

Anyway, many of you know that our family has multiple food allergies.  Mealtime has been a burden to me for years now, because it is seldom possible to make a meal that all of us can eat.   Enter Make Ahead Monday!  Now let me preface this by saying that since I've only done this for two weeks, I only know two things about Make Ahead Monday for sure...

#1 - I probably won't be able to do this every week.
#2 - I will wish that I had.

Here are some of the things I made ahead last week...

  • I cooked four chicken breasts, then chunked them and put them in separate ziploc bags.  I used them for 2 batches of stir fry, chicken soup, and my dd had the other bag available for a night that we had a main dish she couldn't eat.
  • I cooked a large pot of potatoes and mashed them with butter and sour cream.  Then I lined paper baking cups up on a cookie sheet and filled them with the mashed potato mixture.  After they were frozen, I removed them from the cookie sheet and put them in gallon freezer bags.  They've been perfect for evenings where my husband or son gets home late and needs a quick meal.  They can be heated in the microwave or in the oven.  One of the best ways to cook them has been to put a number of them in a 1 1/2 quart covered Pyrex casserole dish (with the paper OFF, of course!) and cook them at 350 degrees for a half hour or so.  Wonderful!!
  • I browned two pounds of hamburger and froze one pound for pizza and added cumin, salsa, and great northern beans to the other pound for taco casserole.
  • I made some gluten free blueberry scones for quick breakfasts or lunches.
  • I made a loaf of gluten free bread and two pizza crusts.
  • I put a boneless pork roast in the crockpot on low all day.  In the evening I shredded it and served it with some of the mashed potatoes.  The leftovers lasted for lunch the next day and a single supper for my husband one day after working late.
  • For dessert I made a gluten free blueberry cobbler.
WHEW!!!

Here's another thing I learned about Make Ahead Monday...

IT'S TIRING!!! : )

This week was about the same, with the addition of frying up some sausage for a Breakfast casserole, browning some bacon for easy warm up, and making a few hard boiled eggs for a chicken pot pie later in the week (new recipe... I'll have to let you know how it turns out!)

Truly, last week was the calmest I've been about food for years!  I was busy with Graceworks and visiting my mom, and there was always something easy to prepare.  My daughter always had something available if she couldn't eat the main course.  My son was thrilled with the mashed potatoes and dessert, and my husband was surprised, I think, when his asking "What's for Dinner?" didn't put me on the verge of tears. :)

Still ahead for this afternoon, I plan to make an apple crisp rather than last week's blueberry cobbler, and I have a round steak that I will be cooking for supper tonight.  Right now?  I'm resting with a cup of coffee and a gluten free wafer cookie.  Ahhhh!!!

Isn't God good?  I've honestly been praying and struggling with this for years now, and feeling so ... overwhelmed and just plain silly that I haven't been able to figure it out.  It was never a problem before allergies!!  Now I feel so blessed that the Lord has given us just what we need for this time in our lives.  I know it may not be the answer forever, but right now it is an answer to prayer and I am SO grateful to God for bringing it to mind!!

Here is your Happy Monday prompt for today...
A blessing from my kitchen ...

Have a blessed week!

Tricia

No comments: