Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Musing - Patience



As I have gotten older, I have met more and more people who suffer with some level or another of chronic pain.  Sometimes it is debilitating, sometimes just aggravating, but the neverending-ness of it can be so trying to both soul and body and bring us to our knees again and again both physically and spiritually.

With the snow falling lazily outside my window, my own aches and pains seem a little more noticeable this morning, and I could definitely relate to the Psalmist's cry in Psalm 6:2-4...
Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak:  O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed.  My soul is also sore vexed:  But thou, O Lord, how long?  Return, O Lord, deliver my soul:  oh save me for thy mercies' sake."

As I was fretting a little - echoing the words in my heart - my eye traveled down the page of verses and stopped short at the words "You have need of patience." (Heb 10:36)  Did I read it or actually hear it?  Either way the Spirit impressed my heart strongly with the fact that the verse was for me.  Today.  Right now.

So often we want out of things.  Out of pain.  Out of an uncomfortable situation.  Out of  confusion.  And we fret and chafe and miss the lesson that God wants us to learn.  Patience.  Further reading this morning led me to Psalm 27:13, 14...

13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.


If, instead of fighting against the circumstances of my life, I focus on what I know to be true about God, and wait His timing to accomplish His purposes in my life, I will find courage. I found it interesting that when I looked up the definition of 'courage' online, I found that an obsolete use of the word had to do with "the heart as the source of emotion".  I love that!  When I take courage in the Lord, He strengthens my heart -- my emotions!  Isn't that wonderful??  As women we struggle and struggle with emotions.  Take heart, dear one!  Our very struggle itself is an avenue to Him and to the peace and rest that we long for.  And isn't THAT something to be happy about this Monday morning?!

Have a blessed week!

Tricia

-- A Happy Monday prompt for the week...  "I was encouraged this past week when..." --

2 comments:

Simply Victoria said...

Wow, Tricia! I feel like you wrote this just for me. Today I have a great need for patience. Thanks for sharing!
Vicki

MrsGMO said...

THIS BLESSED MY ♥ SO MUCH! I even printed it for a friend! Thank you! In Christ, Gwen O.