Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday Musing - In the Closet

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;  Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.    Colossians 3:12, 13

It is a chilly morning here - about 28 degrees! - but the sky is blue and the birds are singing and the buds are swelling on the trees.  April 1st definitely brings hope that spring weather is not far away!!  As I've been looking forward to warmer weather this past week while reading about the Proverbs 31 woman seeking wool and flax, clothing her household with scarlet, and preparing for winter, my thoughts have turned to my spring wardrobe... or lack of it.

I've never been very fashion conscious, partially because I haven't had the money to be.  My clothes as a child were hand me downs, with perhaps one trip to the store before school began.  As an adult that shopping style has stayed with me, with most of my purchases being from a thrift store and an occasional splurge at Kohls or Christopher and Banks.  But when my husband commented last week that one of my favorite jackets was starting to look a little worn and we realized that it was nearly 15 years old, when the zipper of my coat opened when I zipped it rather than shut, and when I put on a favorite cardigan and realized that it had stretched so that one side was three inches longer than the other, I decided that it was time to do some updating!

I've done LOTS of research this week, and been encouraged with what I found.  I don't want my clothing to become more important than the beautiful wardrobe of a meek and quiet spirit, which is further elaborated on in the verses above, but I also realize that my appearance makes a statement about me, about my husband, and about my God.   Am I unkept?  Worn? Frumpy?  Do I have a closet full of clothes that don't match, or don't fit well?  As I've looked through many different resources, I've been drawn to a concept called a Capsule Wardrobe.  Building on classic basics in neutral colors, you choose a simple color scheme and build a seasonal wardrobe in those parameters, ranging from about 15-35 pieces of clothing, which often includes accessories as well! What you may lose in variety of colors, you will gain in variety of potential outfits, as your entire closet will be able to mix and match.  This seems to make good sense for me.  I can choose some basics in navy, or brown, or black - things like well made jackets, sweaters, skirts or simple dresses, or even capris for hiking with my Dear One; then add a classic coat (the trench coat seems to be a favorite in capsules I've found!); and continue with a number of blouses or knit shirts in both basics (like white, or your dark neutral), and colors - you can even throw in a print or two here!.  Accessories seem to be the key to each of the groups that I've found.  Once you've added in some pretty scarves, a well chosen necklace or two, a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes, a coordinating handbag, and two or three pairs of shoes in complimentary colors and styles (perhaps a flat, a heel and a walking shoe of some sort) , your spring wardrobe is ready to go.

Here's a fun sample I found at Capsule Wardrobes - a company from the UK...

Capsule Wardrobe Sample
Image credit:  Capsule-wardrobes.co.uk
Do you see how everything can mix and match?  Of course you could change out the slacks for skirts if you don't feel they would be appropriate for your situation or convictions - this is merely a sample!  Does this give you any ideas for updating your own wardrobe?  I'm going to be working on mine this week!

Here's our Happy Monday prompt for the week...
One of my favorite articles of clothing is...

Blessings!

Tricia

 

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This made me laugh -- I'm right there with you! I picked up the e-book, The No Brainer Wardrobe by Hayley Morgan that teaches the capsule wardrobe last year. I've been trying to think "capsule" for the last year while shopping thrift stores and my winter wardrobe is in pretty good shape. My spring/summer, not so much. My indispensable piece is a high quality, curvy-cut jean shirt/jacket.

Paula Laird said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your wardrobe! I need to go through mine. I know it won't all color coordinate because I just bought a hot pink blazer and I want to get a couple of red tops, but as long as most of it goes together I think that would be okay. I don't accessorize well so I'd rather have a couple of extra shirts. One of my favorite clothing pieces is a comfortable pencil skirt.