Saturday, May 25, 2013

Harvest Time!


Happy Weekend, friends!  It's the Sunset of our week once again.  Did you wonder about today's title and think that I was off a few months?? :)  LOL!  You are right... it is still Spring and time for planting, not harvesting.  But don't farmers always have that goal in their sights when they work in the fields in the Spring?  It would be silly to plant a field if you didn't expect to harvest it at some point!

One of the "hazards" of being me is my tendency towards getting weary during this planting stage.  The harvest looks SO far away and there are so many weeds!  Whether I am looking at my own personal walk with the Lord, my children's lives, my marriage, or even my involvement in GraceWorks, I sometimes forget some very important things about reaping and sowing.

1.  You always reap what you sow.
"And let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."   Galatians 6:9

In order to someday reap a harvest in my character, my children, or any other area of my life, I need to be faithful to do what is right today.  I don't have to do it all in one day, but I do need to KEEP DOING IT.  A number of you that have taken part in the 28 Day Challenge have mentioned that very fact.  By "sowing" just a little extra housekeeping everyday, you "reaped" a peaceful, easy to maintain home.  The opposite is true as well though.  If we sow disorder, we will reap chaos!!

2.  You always reap later than you sow.
"And let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."   Galatians 6:9

There are very few seeds that yield mature crops the day after they are planted.  Yet God is gracious to us, often giving us glimpses of progress along the way.  Just as a new gardener watches the ground daily to see a tiny bit of green push through the soil or the first blossom appear, so we are able to see growth -- little by little -- in our lives and the lives of those around us.  This is especially fun to see in our children.  To watch them make wise choices and see them choose to follow righteousness is SUCH a blessing!  It's important, though, to realize that growth does not mean we (or they) have "arrived" - either practically (as in homemaking) or spiritually.   The mature fruit has not yet appeared, and any promise of harvest that you may be seeing is only a reason to say with wonder, "Praise the Lord, for His work in my (or their) life!!".

3.  You always reap more than you sow.
And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.  Mark 4:8

This is the hardest thing for me to really realize.  It is comforting to know that what I sow to His glory will increase as He blesses it.  But I would really rather not think about the fact that, though I may or may not see it right away, my laziness, unkind thoughts and uncharitable speeches will reap more than I've sown as well.  How much more work will I reap by being too lazy to finish the dishes right after dinner?  How many people have I hurt by a thoughtless or unkind word?  Has anyone been turned away from Christ by my uncharitable remarks and actions?  Hmmmm...

THE CHALLENGE:

Don't give up!  Be faithful in sowing what is right and good in your life and the lives of those around you.  Ask the Lord for wisdom to weed out those things that don't please Him, and focus on watering and feeding what is true and godly.  

May the garden of your heart bring glory to the Lord during the week ahead!!

1 comment:

Simply Victoria said...

OH, Tricia, this was so good! Thank you for these encouraging and convicting truths!!