Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Reverence



Hello again!  It's Wednesday and our Bible character to focus on is...

Esther - "Pleasing my King as I seek to serve Him"

Have you ever met someone who loved to serve others... 
as long as it was done their own way and didn't cost them any inconvenience?  
Perhaps they even asked for your input...
and then did what they wanted to regardless of your wishes.

It is so easy to read those statements and think.  "Oh, I know exactly what you mean.  So and so from church is just like that!"  But when I look at Esther and the way she responded to her God by treating her pagan husband with reverence, suddenly the finger pointing at others points right back at me.

Do I honor God by serving my husband with reverence... treating him with respect... deferring to his wishes?

But he doesn't deserve it.  You don't know him like I do.

True.  I don't.  But I do know that God has asked me to do it.  

Ephesians 5:33
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

And what would happen if my husband used the same logic about loving me?

But she doesn't deserve it.  You don't know her like I do.

What a wonderful example Esther is to us of true reverence.  Her reverence for God and deference to His wishes, overflowed into her relationship with the King.  When needing to speak to him on behalf of her people, she thought of what he would like, ways she could honor him, ways she could do him good - without regard to herself and even without regard to her life.  Wow.

OUR CHALLENGE:

How are you doing in this area?  Are you a Proverbs 31 woman who takes seriously the fact that her husband's heart has been entrusted to her?  Do you think about ways to do good and be a blessing to him?  Are you an Ephesians 5:33 woman who reverences her husband?  One who treats him with respect and defers to his wishes?

Let's think of a special way to show our husband that we respect and honor him today.  A 'thank you' for a job well done, a compliment admiring his strong hands or intelligence, a note to say 'I love you', cleaning out his car, sending him a text that says "I miss you today!", deferring to him in an area that has been a struggle, speaking of him with high regard to another.  There are so many things we can do today as we plan to be a blessing!

 

No comments: