Monday, September 16, 2013

Happy Monday - Overcharged


Hello friends!

I was looking through one of my journals for ideas about what to write today and I came across this verse...

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

What is interesting is that I had read it just the other day in my quiet time and it stopped me in my tracks then just like it did today.

Am I overcharged?

When I had read the verse a few days ago, my mind saw the KJV English word "surfeiting" as "surfing"... as in spending time on the internet.  And the word "overcharged" suddenly came to life when I thought about the dangers of overcharging an electronic device.  It seems there are three things that can happen to a battery that is overcharged.  It can cause excessive heat to build up in the battery.  It can shorten its life.  It can destroy it.

Hmmm.

Of course the verse doesn't say "surfing" - it says "surfeiting".  Just what does that mean??  Somehow, if I ever thought about it at all, I figured the gist of it would be living frivolously, not focusing on what is most important, maybe even "partying" in today's sense of the word.  Nope.  Here are some synonyms....

gorge, overfeed, overfill, cram, overindulge

It basically means to feed or supply in excess.

Wow. 

In America...

We overcharge our bank accounts by buying more than we need or can use.
We overcharge our minds with instant access to TV, internet, news and entertainment.
We overcharge our bodies by not eating in moderation.

and what do we see happening all around us?

Excessive heat from creditors and in relationships.
Shortened lives because of poor nutrition and disease.
Destroyed lives caused by immoderate behavior.

It's so easy to get caught in the trap of "MORE" and not even realize it!

I'm going to ask the Lord to help me apply that verse to my life, I think.  I'm sure I have  some changes to make.  How about you??

Blessings,
Tricia

Your Happy Monday Prompt for today:  Something I have learned about God this year is...


1 comment:

PinkLady said...

Hello, Your study is excellent for me today. I am struggle with "overfill", "cram(ing)", and "overindulge(ing)".

Overfill - clutter!!!! cannot fellowship/minister to others since my home is filled with clutter.

Cram - I am studying for a certification exam and have not spent enough time actually studying, now I am cramming and that is not good!

Overindulge - food & things... clutter in my home and unhealthy weight gain. I am finally address my emotional and mental aspects to my weight gain and no longer overindulge in food on a daily basis - I've lost 23 lbs so far.
I no longer overindulge in things, but, I still am finding it difficult to declutter.

Sometimes we "overfill" and "overindulge" in material (incl. food) instead of seeking and enriching our relationship with our Heavenly Father.

Thanks for this blog post.