Monday, September 30, 2013

Monday Musing - Definitions

And THANK YOU for your sweet, understanding responses so far!! : )

Good morning, friends!

It's Monday, and I'm looking forward to teaching my elementary choir in a few hours.  What a joy it is to be able to teach them some of the precious hymns of the faith and help them gain a vocabulary of God's goodness.  It is SO sad to me how many of today's children -- and we as adults as well -- are exchanging the powerful truths of our faith for emptiness, because the world has dulled their definitions.  For example, as I was walking my dogs this morning, I was blinded by the glory of the sunrise.  The first thing that came to mind, I'm sorry to say, were the first four words and tune of some pop song I heard growing up -- "Blinded by the light."  I don't know the song, except the first few words and a snatch of the melody, but it took a conscious effort to replace that thought with a picture of Paul (then Saul) on the road to Damascus, blinded by the pure, glorious light of the Saviour.   Thinking about it, I realized again that most children in public schools today are not even able to associate today's catch phrases with something Biblical.  To them "Blinded by the Light" is a pop song, "Redemption" is an R-rated movie, "Justified" is an equally ungodly TV show, the "Solid Rock" is a rock music CD, and "Wicked" actually means "Exceptionally Good".  God's name is taken in vain every second by someone texting or tweeting or on other forms of social media, and holiness is decidedly out of fashion, with irreverent humor to be much preferred... 

even by those claiming to be Christians.

"My brethren, these things ought not so to be!"

Let's encourage each other daily to be in God's Word!  To learn the beauty of the fact that we were not redeemed with corruptible things like silver and gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a Lamb without blemish or spot.  To be awed again with the glorious reality of our justification in Christ.  To build our lives on the firm foundation of the Solid Rock and fight against the wickedness in our lives rather than becoming dulled to it.

I pray God will bless you this week as you seek to show Christ to your children and grandchildren and others you may come in contact with.  May each of us have a joy and peace and love that cannot be explained by the world.  Take heart, Christian!  
Christ is better!!

Your Happy Monday Post for today...
An old hymn I love that my children may not know is...





No comments: