Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday Musing - Enough

I was reading in the book of Proverbs this morning and came across two verses that I had underlined some time back that jumped off the page at me.  Have you ever had that happen?  The first was verse 17 -- "He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man:  he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich."  Isn't that true?  The more we get, the more we want, and the more we want, the more we get.  Now, of course, being the very black and white type of person that I am, I immediately thought of my basket of cross stitch next to my chair and my little stamping area downstairs.  "Am I causing my family to be poor?  Do I *love* my hobbies more than I should?  Should I just sell it all?"  I kept reading, still mulling over this problem in my mind, and then I came to verse 20...
"There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up."  Now I'm sure we could make an argument for the treasure and the oil being figurative speech for wisdom, but on a purely "what is says is what it means" basis, I saw something different.  The wise man does have some things that are considered treasures and bring him pleasure.  BUT, and it is a BIG "but", he is a good steward of them.  In our world today more equals better and we get caught in the next "best thing" trap.  The next new smart phone.  The next new video game.  The next new homeschool book.  The next new stamp set.  The next new whole food diet, and pretty soon our focus is on the "wine and oil" of this life and our pocketbooks are empty... and we're STILL not satisfied!   But, have you noticed that things in life become more valuable the rarer they are?  And how you use them carefully if you know you won't be able to get more right away?  And what a treat something is if you only have it occasionally?  In an "I want it all.  I want it now" world, these are all things that I need to constantly remind myself of!    Let's strive together to place our love on the godly wisdom embodied in Christ and the Word, and to be good stewards of the pleasures that the Lord gives us, but not set our hearts on them.  It's certainly something to think about with the approach of Black Friday and Christmas, isn't it?

--ooOoo--

Today's Happy Monday prompt:  A gift (of time, money, friendship, possessions) that I could give this week to someone who could not repay me might be...



1 comment:

Shirlee said...

Beautifully written my friend, & very thought provoking especially, like you said, with the holidays approaching.