Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Musing - Getting Along

The Christmas season is definitely upon us and just like the first Christmas thousands of years ago, it seems that the weeks leading up to Christmas day are filled with busyness, travel, stress and people.  The crowds of tired traveling people in Bethlehem have given place to co-workers at Christmas parties, guests for the holidays, flustered parents at the school functions, and family members who may not always get along...  you know what I mean!  So how do we approach the "people" aspect of the holidays... or the "people" aspect at ANY time of the year??  Here are some verses that seemed to jump out at me during my Bible reading this morning...


Walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  (Eph 4:1b-3 KJV)

Here are the same verses in a different translation...

Walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  (Eph 4:1b-3 ESV)

Unfortunately I can think of many a Christmas that I was more eager to have my point heard than I was to maintain the unity of Spirit, and  many times that I nurtured unkind feelings toward another rather than bearing with them in love.  I have accused and condemned rather than spoken with humility and gentleness, and I have been annoyed rather than practicing patience.  Sigh!

But isn't it a beautiful gift that God gives us each day?  Over and over He lets us practice doing His will for us, and step by step He provides grace for each encounter.  And not just barely enough grace to get us through today, but an OVERFLOW of grace that sustains us and allows us to be a blessing to others as well.  Thank you Lord!

I wish you an abundance of God's grace as you enter into this season!

Blessings!

Tricia

Your Happy Monday prompt for today:
We start listening to Christmas carols in...

No comments: