Monday, March 3, 2014

Happy Monday - Faithfulness


Happy Monday, friends!

Isn't it wonderful to know that God is faithful?  Not just to think or to hope, but to know?  It is so easy to get discouraged by the circumstances of our lives.  The circumstances may change with the seasons of our lives, but they remain as all-consuming to our minds and bodies...

...the pain of a chronic or acute illness
...the tiredness of a mother with young children
...the busyness of a homeschool mom
...the demands of aging parents
...the loneliness of an empty nest
...the emptiness of widowhood

After a particularly overwhelming day a week or so ago, I was able to relate to the Psalmist in Psalm 77...

I cried unto God with my voice,
even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord:
my sore ran in the night, and ceased not:
my soul refused to be comforted.
I remembered God, and was troubled:
I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed.
Thou holdest mine eyes waking:
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.

I have considered the days of old,
the years of ancient times.
I call to remembrance my song in the night:
I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.
Will the Lord cast off for ever?
and will he be favourable no more?
Is his mercy clean gone for ever?
doth his promise fail for evermore?
Hath God forgotten to be gracious?
hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies?

(Oh I could relate!  Then I read the next verse...)

And I said, This is my infirmity:
but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.

--ooOoo--

Isn't that wonderful?  It's as though he said - "I'm being silly.  I'm only thinking this because I'm in pain, tired and overwhelmed.  I'm going to think about HIM instead of me!

We are so human!  Tiredness, weakness, pain, and sorrow can make things look black and hopeless around us, so that what we know isn't always what we think.

This is my infirmity.

But the Bible tells us that it is in our infirmities that the power of Christ can rest on us.  How?  The psalmist gives us the perfect example.   Realize that the way you are thinking is faulty, and REMEMBER.

Remember Christ's sacrifice for you.
Remember how He has worked in your life.
Remember your blessings.

Now think about them...

Now talk about them!

Doesn't it make you want to sing like the birds on the branch in the picture above?  Let's practice capturing each wayward thought and bringing it into obedience to Christ this week!!

"The Lord is GOOD, His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endureth to all generations."

Blessings!

Tricia

Your Happy Monday Prompt for this week:

The bird I most love to hear sing is...

2 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Tricia, this is wonderful! It has blessed my heart so today...this week actually! We have some fun mockingbirds here in South Florida, and while they are the sweetest singing birds, they always sing with what sounds like joy and "out loud" that delights me! Warm hugs...and many thanks for sharing!

Shirlee said...

I'm a bit behind in my blog reading & am catching up today. This is a beautiful post & oh so true! Our thoughts direct our lives! Every time I catch a negative thought trying to take over in my mind, I purposely quote scripture & focus on good things. There are so many good things in our lives even when, as you point out, we are in pain, lonely, busy, etc.