Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Musing - Posting Blessings



I saw a beautifully charted counted cross stitch quote this morning that said, "Be who you are -- Say what you feel.  Because those who mind don't matter -- and those who matter don't mind." -- and something in my spirit said "Hmm... that advice could be dangerous if not tempered with God's Word."

We all long to be more bold as a Christian.  To speak up for Christ and His Kingdom.  To stand up for what is right.  But what if we take that quote at face value and speak out rashly, without thinking first and checking our tongue if our words are untrue, unkind, or unnecessary?  Last week I saw a beautiful post by a gal who celebrates the season of Lent.  It was insightful and gracious and called others to not just "do" Lent superficially, but to spend the time drawing and walking closer to Christ.  It breathed the spirit of the verse, "To obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of lambs".  Unfortunately within two comments she was flailed by fellow "Christians" who "said what they felt" about Lent to someone they obviously felt "didn't matter".  Their words and tone were unkind, spoke only a portion of the truth (which might be considered an untruth??), and were, in my opinion, unnecessary, given the substance of the post they were condemning.  Their comments neither edified nor encouraged, but were scathing and oozed bitterness.  I was so ashamed of them!

...and of myself, when I speak... or write... the same way.

It is so EASY to allow words like that to spring from my heart and cross my lips... or my fingers.  Little fiery darts meant to hurt another or "set them right", or little jokes that house a "sting".  And how Christ must be saddened when I speak or write those very words in His Name!!

My heart's prayer for each of us this week?


    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lordmy strength, and my redeemer. 


    Psalm 19:14

Will you join me in speaking and posting blessings this week?  Speak the truth and speak it in love.  Bring honor to your Lord and glory to His Name.  Edify and encourage one another.  Pray over your words and texts and tweets and posts to be sure they are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praise-worthy.

Let's practice being a blessing this week!


Here's your Happy Monday prompt...
A friend who could use some encouragement in the Lord right now is...

Blessings!

Tricia




1 comment:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Tricia, I love your post today...and so agree! I pray that God would guard my mouth and heart each day and love to pray Psalm 19:14. What a precious reminder...thanks, sweet friend!