Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Building a Planner {that Works} - Having a Backup


Did you ever need to remember a locker combination at school?  A mailbox combination? A combination to the lock of your car, toolbox, briefcase or bike?  As much as I love a good puzzle, remembering combinations has always been a challenge for me.  I remember, a couple of times in particular, having to trek to the school office between classes in high school because I couldn't open my locker.  It was so embarrassing!  As I've gotten older, life has presenting far more interesting combinations for me to crack. 

 How do I care for busy toddlers and keep up my home?
How can I spend meaningful time with the Lord in the midst of filled-to-the-brim days?
How do I keep up with all these different schedules?
Which bills need to be paid when?
How can I keep track of upcoming events?

and on and on the list might go.

We've talked about different combinations of pages that might help you in each of these cases, but another combination that we haven't spent much time with would be to combine your paper planner with a digital device... your computer, phone, or tablet.

From calendars to list makers, there are a wide range of apps available that may mesh wonderfully with your planner.  In fact, many people rely on these "electronic minds" exclusively... 

until they crash.

And therein lies the problem.  And the reason that I could never go completely digital with my planner.  When I write something down I trust that it will be there to remind me and I put it out of my mind.  If I went completely digital and it crashed...  oh, dear, it would be much worse than forgetting my combination in high school!

So, today's tip for Building a Planner {that Works}... 

Have a paper backup for things you don't want to forget.

Those things will be different for each of us.  For me it might include a list of my upcoming cross stitch projects.  For you it might be the record of books used in your homeschool, or your monthly list of menus.  If it is important and/or required much thought or time to assemble, make a paper backup with the basics.  It will be the perfect combination with your digital device and you'll be ever so thankful for it in an emergency!



No comments: