Sunday, December 21, 2014

{Monday Musing} Open Windows

I've had some trouble over the last couple months with my computer running v-e-r-y    s-l-o-w-l-y.  Whether it is gathering mail from gmail, watching a stamping video on StampTV or pulling up a GraceWorks page to print, there are times when it just slows to a crawl and really tries my patience.  The other day when I was fretting about it, my daughter leaned over my shoulder and said, "Maybe it is because you have so many windows open!"  I was ready to disagree with her, but then I looked down to my sidebar and noticed that almost every program I use had a window (or two or three) open on my screen because "I just might need that."  My poor computer memory was so full of things that were not relevant at the time that it wasn't able to complete the task at hand.  How's THAT for an object lesson??  How many windows are open in your life right now?  How many projects are you involved in?  What commitments have you made?  Is your mind so full of all that you need to do that it isn't able to focus on the task at hand?  Something I read in the Accidental Creative book really struck a chord with me.  Mr. Henry said this, "Each commitment I made, and each project I decided to take on, required something more of me than just my time.  Each required my energy."  The number of open windows you can manage effectively varies depending on how much energy you have available, not just whether or not you can find a spot in your schedule to fit it in.  If you are in a particularly busy or stressful season of life, you may have to close some windows on the desktop of your life to make it possible to concentrate on those that are most important... even if others don't understand why.

As I look forward to next year, I am thinking about closing some of the more unimportant windows of my life to make room for things that align with my Life Purpose statement.  I thought I'd share some of the questions I'll be pondering.  Maybe they will be a help to you as well!

This coming year (or quarter!) I would like to...

Learn (about) _______________________
Read _____________________________
Make _____________________________
Do more ___________________________
Go _______________________________
Be _______________________________
Practice ___________________________
See ______________________________
Deepen my relationship with _____________
Establish __________________________
Get better at _______________________
Keep up with _______________________
Write ____________________________
Organize __________________________
Grow in ___________________________
Become known as ____________________
Keep _____________________________
Stop _____________________________
Continue __________________________
Give _____________________________
Save _____________________________

These can be ended however your heart leads.  For example, GIVE could be an amount of $, it could be "to a missionary", it could be "thanks every day", or it could be "back the tupperware on the top of the fridge."  When you finish, make sure your goals are written so you can attain them.  For example, "Stop getting angry during Little League games" is a hard goal to measure, but "Write down a verse on anger to memorize." and "Take time to think about the verse when I start to get angry" are both attainable goals.

Well, it's time to go back to my last-minute Christmas preparations.  I pray that each of us will have a blessed Christmas celebrating the Saviour's birth.  I'll be back on the 26th with a new monthly blog feature.  Hope to see you then!

Tricia

1 comment:

TheBayouWoman said...

Along with the closing windows analogy and with all your thoughts on creativity, I also want to make sure I don't close myself off to new windows that might need opened. Sometimes I just need to take a different turn or try something new or try doing something old a different way.