Monday, January 19, 2015

{A-B-C's of Gratitude) Beauty

I've been in 'a mood' today.  Not necessarily a bad mood.  Just one of those moods that even if what I've said has been said with a laugh, it still had a sting.  "I'm so glad you got that fixed!  Why didn't you do it before?" One of those moods that has found fault with God's timing just because it wasn't my timing.  "I can't think of one more crock pot meal.  Will our oven EVER be fixed?" One of those moods that shows itself in being complaining and envious. I wish my home looked like the one on that Pinterest board!  Then I saw on my to-do list that I needed to write this blog post and I saw the theme I had jotted down.

  Beauty.
  
My first thought was all the beautiful things that Jenny of Elefantz has been making for her home these last few weeks in her year of Gentle Domesticity.  "But I don't have  t-i-i-m-e," I said with a whine.  "And I don't even know where to st-a-a-r-t ," said with another.  But then, somewhere deep in my spirit, I heard...  

True beauty overflows from within.  

And I stopped.  Because what I'd been overflowing with all morning was anything but beautiful.  Oh how convicting!! "I'm so sorry, Lord!"  And then I heard... 

True beauty begins with gratitude.  

And that pinpointed what was lacking.  In everything that I had been "cantankerous" about this morning (which is a kinder word that my true heart condition deserves...) I had chosen to dwell on a grievance, real or imagined, and usually petty, rather than to be thankful for the love and care of God and my family and show it by tone of voice, my words and my actions.  Putting on makeup and doing my hair, picking up the house and folding the laundry, making a new beautiful table runner and lining my pantry shelves with pretty paper could never have made my home beautiful while my heart condition of ingratitude was overflowing into ugliness.  Oh what a lesson!

It's time for me to begin again.  This time with a grateful heart.  

Join me?

Here's a Happy Monday Prompt for today...
Today is beautiful because...

1 comment:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Tricia, I LOVE your post today, especially because you shared your heart! And, yes, we all have those days, and what a precious remind that today is beautiful because....! I am so grateful for what the Lord has done and continues to do in my life, and I'm so grateful for precious sisters in Christ like you! Hugs and blessings, precious friend!