Saturday, August 27, 2016

The 28 Day Challenge - Days 11 & 12 - First Things

Just joining me?  I'm currently taking GraceWorks' Beautiful Life Management 28 Day Challenge.  Read about my accomplishments, failures and adventures here!   Scroll to the end of the post to find the links of the series from the beginning. : )


Hello again!

I am continuing my birthday as long as possible! :) I spent both Thursday and Friday in and out of the house doing just First Things and Basics on Thursday and only First Things on Friday.  I love that the First Things really keep the house and my spirit in enough order that I can take a "day off" here and there without everything totally falling to pieces around me.  Even if I miss some of the "major" cleaning things like vacuuming, I know that it will come around again in a week on the schedule, so it won't be out of my sight for long.

I also am thankful that this season of my life offers me a little more leeway in that department than I had when I had 3 young children at home.  With only three adults in the house now (and two dogs!) things don't get as disastrous as quickly and I also have helpers for some of the tasks... although they may or may not do them on my schedule.  My biggest challenge right now is not to get lazy and let things go too long, which is why having housekeeping reminders is a wonderful thing at any stage of our lives.

One thing I did work on yesterday that was not on our challenge list was a check by check budget for the next six months.  That is always an interesting exercise, and it is a good one for me.  We are working on paying off a little stack of medical bills, and the Lord has really helped us stay focused on that this past year, but I noticed this past month that we were beginning to spend money here and there - new stamps for me, new shoes for us both, paint for the house, plants for outside, things like that... - that really hadn't been budgeted for, and we had eaten away most of our reserve.  Redoing the budget really helps me refocus.  In the next couple of days my husband and I will sit down together and schedule (and budget!) some fun times to look forward to over the next 6 months and then we will hunker down to the discipline of knowing where all of our pennies are allocated again.  Having the fun times to look forward to helps keep me in line when I get stir crazy.  
A spare change jar helps, too!! : )

How about you?  Any budgeting tricks and tips??  I'd love to hear them!

Blessings!

Tricia

Would you like to start the 28 Day Challenge in Real Life series from the beginning??

Find the Intro post HERE
Find Day One HERE
Find Day Two HERE
Find Day Three HERE
Find Day Four HERE
Find Day Five HERE
Find Day Six HERE
Find Day Seven HERE
Find Day Eight HERE
Find Day Nine and Ten HERE

No comments: