Monday, October 10, 2016

Checking Things Off


Hello, Hello!

I've been doing some reading these past two weeks on how to make good lists and checklists and how helpful they can be.  From building skyscrapers to flying planes, it seems that many complex situations use checklists to keep on track and to keep from forgetting details that might get overlooked.  Of course, this got me interested and I decided to start my own checklist to help me remember certain things that I want to make a habit again --things like exercising, doing my housework in the morning, and listening to the Psalms while cross stitching.

Something that one of the books mentioned was that checklists require discipline.  Uggh.  That is something I am sadly lacking in!  But if you can discipline yourself to follow the checklist carefully you will make fewer mistakes and you will develop good habits.  That is something I would like!  So in a few key places on my list - you know, places where I am apt to take a shortcut... - I have written the word DISCIPLINE.  My hope is that I will see the reminder and be encouraged to keep going!! 

Lists and checklists seem to always be in a state of flux.  As circumstances change our lists will as well.  I am encouraged, though, to keep moving forward using my lists to help me.

What about you?  Do you enjoy using lists or are they too rigid?  Do you make lists and then not follow them?  I would love to hear your challenges and tips!

Blessings,

Tricia

PS - If you are wondering, the books I read were Listful Thinking by Paula Rizzo and The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande.  Lots of food for thought in them!!

No comments: