Monday, January 9, 2017

A Mary Spirit


One of my heart's desires this year is that I will begin to display "A Mary Spirit" in my life.  

That I will love Christ as she loved Him...
That I will pray and care for others and she prayed and cared for Him...
That I may teach others as she taught Him as a child...
That I will submit to my husband as she submitted to Joseph...
That I will be open to God's requests and say 'yes' to Him without reservation...
That I will love those that God puts in my care, as she loved the disciples after Christ's death, resurrection and ascension.

I have thought quite a bit about her during this Advent / Christmas season.  Especially since I have been stitching her in my cross stitch project as well.  I realized that I have always thought of her as a young girl, and forget that she ever grew up.  Just imagine all of the beauty and tragedy that her life contained... the loss of her parents, the miracle of Christ's birth, becoming a refugee in Egypt, the death of her husband, the death of her Son, His resurrection, His ascension, Pentacost...  By thinking of her as just a young girl, I forget that she was a woman of deep thought and varied experience.   And I discount the fact that, being the mother of God Incarnate, she was obviously also a woman of  quiet faith that overflowed into practice.  Wouldn't it be a lovely thing to have said of you that you were blessed because you "heard the Word of God and kept it"??  She didn't just say "yes" to God once.  She was constantly giving of herself to Him!  Just think how having that type of humble, giving spirit would transform your home and make it a place of blessing this year!  

I love that she was content to be in the background.  She wasn't flashy or proud, and didn't seem to be a woman of position in the town - Not like Lydia who sold purple garments in Phillipi - she was just the carpenter's wife.  But she was approved by God and precious... and isn't that better than all?

------

Are you looking for a Bible reading plan for the new year?  The Into His Presence Bible Reading Journal is available in both the Classic Size and as a Full Size Download.

1 comment:

lacylava said...

Thank you for sharing this! After starting the new year off sick and way behind on everything (schedule out the window and kids running a bit wild, too), I really needed this encouragement.

God bless you!

Lacy