Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Chalkboard Menus

One of my goals for last year was to work on hand lettering, so when I saw an advertisement for a beginning brush lettering class in October?  November? Well - late in the year, anyway!  I knew that I needed to sign up.  I have always loved handwriting.  I still have fond memories of being a little, little girl - maybe three or four? - standing on a chair in the kitchen by a chalkboard on the wall and practicing my name over and over and over again.  I was SO happy when I could write it well!  Needless to say, I am really, really enjoying learning this new skill.  My goal would be to be able to write out Bible verses to frame and give as gifts or sell, but, for right now, I am concentrating on practicing - anywhere and everywhere!



I was so excited to find this little easel chalkboard and chalk marker at Walmart, especially since both of them together were under $10.00.   Now, each evening as I clean up the kitchen after supper, I wipe off the board with my wet cloth and then I check the menu plan in my planner and write the next day's menus on the board.  Isn't that fun?  My husband thinks it is "pretty cool" because he doesn't have to ask what's for dinner.  I just like it because it's pretty.   Well, not only because it's pretty!  It also helps me to remember to take food out of the freezer at night because I am thinking ahead and to make food before mealtimes because I see it every time I walk in the kitchen.  Otherwise I am often so engrossed in other things that I forget that food requires prep time before you can eat it!! :)

So, have you done any hand lettering?  I would love to see your work!  I am posting some of my practice along with some cards and my cross stitch progress on my Instagram account @simplystamping.  I'd love for you to follow along if you would like!

Talk to you again soon!

1 comment:

Holly BonnybrookeES said...

I do NOT do much lettering-I need to take more time with it. I sent one of your beautiful cards out just this week! I wrote a verse on the inside and thought to myself, "Not too bad, but if I practice it might look more like Tricia's!"