Thursday, February 2, 2017

Conquering Laundry with a Joyful Heart

Laundry is never-ending, isn't it??  Sometimes it almost seems impossible to face it with a joyful heart - especially if you've gotten off track and your dirty laundry has overflowed your laundry baskets and threatened to overtake your entire laundry room.  Where on earth do you find joy in laundry???


Honestly, I am not sure, and I can't always say that I have it.

 But this morning?  

This morning I was surprised by joy as it bubbled up in my soul when I started to fold this pile of laundry...  

Joy that my husband had a good report when we visited the brain surgeon this week for his checkup.  

Joy that I have had a blessed year and a half with him since his surgery. 

Joy that he was able to wear the clothes I was folding to work weekends on the farm - something that he loves and something that provides extra income for our family.  

Joy that he has made it a priority to allow me to be a keeper at home, even when it means extra hours and hard work for himself. 

 Joy that God had provided clothing for us, that I had a clean welcoming place to fold it, and that I could show love to my husband by doing so.  

So often I think I struggle with laundry because I forget that 
life is temporary but love is eternal.  

No, I'm not saying that our souls are not eternal - I'm absolutely not saying that.  But this body will age and decay, and these day by day by day monotonous tasks that we do as homemakers, well, we aren't going to always be able to do them.  Only the love we have lavished on God and others as we have lived our lives in these bodies will go with us into eternity.  

I noticed a part of a verse when I was reading the other day that really struck me.  
"Faith ... worketh by love." Galatians 5:6

True love is always focused on another.  It looks to give to another just as Christ gave to us.  Maybe you have wondered - like I have - "How do I work out my faith while I am here at home?  When I can't even do all the things I think I should be doing because of my health?  When I don't even know how to get all my daily tasks completed? When I am trudging through grief and depression and anxiety?"  Or maybe your questions focus around children and homeschooling and busy schedules and exhaustion.  

One thing we can all do is to love.

Just love.  When I take my focus off myself and begin to see those around me I can see many opportunities to put my faith into action through love. 

 Picking up a stray sock rather than complaining...
  Fixing a meal for someone who is discouraged...
Sending a card to a friend who is sick...  

or perhaps?

Folding clothes carefully with love for your husband and children.

Do you remember the verse, 

"...Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men;
knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance, for ye serve the Lord Christ."
Col. 3:23-24

Even laundry.

Here are a few tips to help keep your laundry under control...

1. Wash one (or two) loads every day.
To stay on top of the pile - ha ha - you need to make laundry a part of your routine.  I like to throw in a load every morning before I have even eaten breakfast. Then I do Tip #2 and by the time I've eaten breakfast and gone through part of my morning routine my first load is done and ready to be flipped into the dryer. 

2. Set a timer.
As soon as I come upstairs I set my timer for an hour.  When it goes off, I know that it is time to switch the clothes from the washer to the dryer.  When I put in the second load I set the timer for about an hour and a half, because my dryer takes a longer time than my washer.  Using a timer cuts down on the possibility of clothes being left in the washer overnight or getting wrinkled from living in the dryer too long.  Unless, of course, you ignore the timer ... or forget to set it... just ask me how I know! :)

Using a timer is especially helpful when you have laundry catch up to do.  It keeps you from forgetting to transfer the laundry and allows you to do multiple loads in one day.

** extra tip ** I have a lot of allergy trouble with fabric softeners, so I just started using some dryer balls.  You know - the blue rubbery ones that look pokey like little hedgehogs - I linked some from Amazon.  I have been so impressed with them!!  They don't take away all the static, but I don't feel like I will get electrocuted when I pull things apart to fold them and that is a win in my book!

3. Make a note in your planner to Transfer Laundry.

Occasionally I haven't heard my timer go off, or I've had to leave the house before I could switch a load from the washer to the dryer or bring a load up to fold and put away.  That's why I also use my planner as an extra reminder.  Especially if I am going out of the house, seeing an entry to Transfer Laundry on my daily planning page when I get home gets me back on the right track.  Here's a link to all the DAILY PLANNING PAGES that we offer here at GraceWorks.  We have many different styles for many different needs!

I'm off to fold my final load!

Blessings!



No comments: