Monday, February 6, 2017

From "House" Keeping to "Home" Making

So how much did you learn about housekeeping and homemaking and child training and having a genuine heart to heart relationship with God when you were growing up?

If you are like me... not as much as I should have.

I had a wonderful mom and two amazing sisters who have college degrees in Home Economics.  My mom was a wonderful cook and our home was always open to traveling missionaries, college students and friends and my sisters followed in her footsteps.  

Then there was me.

I played piano...  Practiced my flute...  Did schoolwork...  and thought that housework was a form of punishment.  So it's no wonder that I had no idea how to run a household when I got married.  It wasn't so bad before we had children, but when you added in 3 little ones in 4 years, plus a part time job, things got pretty ugly.  After we had moved twice over the next few years and started homeschooling as well, I found myself absolutely overwhelmed.

I honestly didn't know how to "keep house."

I still remember the day I found FLYlady.net on the internet and shined my sink for the first time.  Little by little I followed her housekeeping tips and found my home becoming the neat, welcoming place I had always wanted it to be.  It was a huge step in the right direction,  but after a while I felt like something was missing.

I thought and thought and thought and finally I realized that it wasn't just housekeeping help that I needed - though I definitely did still need that!  What I needed was a system that reminded me of my wish to be a godly wife and mother.  One who serves and loves and focuses on those around her.  I had gotten so busy with my "house"keeping, that I had almost stopped "home" making!

That is when I first found the Beautiful Life Management System.



It listed daily housekeeping suggestions.
It was lovely with its full color feminine tab set.
It had a place for a memory, blessing or lesson from each day.
There was space for my menu, as well as reminders to exercise, take my vitamins and drink water throughout the day.
It had a section that reminded me to leave home early enough to be at an appointment on time!
It had pages to help me create new habits and think through problems Biblically.
It had a spot to catch all those notes I jotted on backs of envelopes.
It had a page to jot down errands, to dos and long term projects.

And it had my daily quiet time wth the Lord actually figured in to my schedule.

Oh, how I loved that!!

Everything I was looking for was in that package, and it even came with a workshop by the designer of the system, Jennifer Neef.  It was truly an answer to prayer, and I remember the day it came in the mail so vividly.  I think I cried.  I know I wrote "Got my planner today!" in the Blessing section of my page that night!!

My desire when I took over GraceWorks from Jennifer Neef almost 10 years ago, was to be able to share that same blessing with other ladies that long to put the Lord first in their home.  Young marrieds just starting out, mothers of young children, homeschooling moms, working moms, singles, older women.  We all need a little help and encouragement as we seek to love our husbands, love our children and be keepers at home.

If you are longing for a home that is neat and peaceful and permeated with Christ's love, I'd love to send you our free booklet, "Planning to be a Blessing".  It will give you some of my early planning strategies and introduce you to some of the tools we have that can help.

Here's a link to the booklet in our store.

 It is delivered by email, so it may take a few hours - especially if you order it at night - but I will get it to you as soon as possible!   While you are there, take a moment to sign up for our newsletter.  It's a great way to stay up to date with our sales and product announcements!

Have a blessed day and don't forget to take a little time for
Planning to be a Blessing.





1 comment:

Pam in Indiana said...

Love my Beautiful Life Management pages!