Thursday, February 23, 2017

Procrastination

Do you tend to procrastinate when certain jobs are on your to-do list?  I finished a job this morning that I had been putting off for over a week and it felt SO good to mark it off my list.  It isn't a hard job, necessarily.  It just has lots of details and details overwhelm me, so each day I would look at it and put it off until the next.  But this morning I decided it had been on my list long enough so I did it first thing - before I had even had my quiet time!  And, truthfully, my time with the Lord was less distracted because that project wasn't lurking in the back of my mind.

If you are struggling with procrastination as well here are just a few hints that I have found that have helped me.

1. Write it down -- EVERY DAY.

If I see a project on my list day after day after day I am going to do one of two things.  I will either decide it isn't important and erase it, or I will get tired of seeing it and do it.  The particular job I had to face this morning was bookkeeping related, so I couldn't delete it - which made doing it the only other option! :)

2. Break it into pieces.

Sometimes we procrastinate on projects because they are too overwhelming to process as a whole, or will take so long to complete that we don't even want to start.  One way to face these types of projects is to simply schedule the next step.  I had to do that with this particular project.  One day I worked on income, then I scheduled a day to print reports, then a day to finish.  Sometimes one step a day is all I can handle, and other times one step leads to another and, before I know it, the project is done.

3. Set aside a day.

When you have a project that is hard to work on "piecemeal", set aside a day that is dedicated to its completion.  I like to do this for sewing projects, because I sew on my kitchen table and it is inconvenient to pick up the machine and fabric and patterns and tools before the project is done.  I usually mark off a day on my calendar and plan for it as though it was a vacation day.  I try to have meals made ahead of time and let my family know that the day is dedicated to sewing.  It's even better if I can choose a day where both my husband and daughter are working, but I know that when you still have young children at home that isn't a possibility.  When my children were younger we would call it a vacation day and they would be allowed special privileges (like extra time watching approved videos) while I was working.  We all loved those days!

Feel free to leave a comment with your tricks and tips for dealing with projects!  I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

CherylQuilts said...

Thanks, Tricia! I really appreciated reading this today given so much happening in my life. I was especially struck at how one time you even got the one project done before your quiet time so as not to distract. That was very helpful. Thanks, and sending hugs!