Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Daily Focus

Hello friends!

Starting over is always hard, isn't it?  Especially when you aren't quite sure where to begin.  One of the things I know *for sure* about myself is that I need a basic plan of some sort.  It needs to be flexible but fairly detailed so I can follow it to the letter or just use it as a guideline, depending on the day.  I will freely admit that I have had a lot of trouble over the past few years following the plan laid out in the Beautiful Life Management System.  It's not because the plan doesn't work.  It does, and I followed it, or a variant of it, for years and years.  So many years, in fact, that the basics have sort of become second nature.  Things like making my bed and doing the laundry were wonderful - normal - things that were real comforts during the past few years.  The things that I've had no desire to do are to declutter, to clean deeper, and to make my home beautiful.  So yesterday, as I began my Year of Hope, I sat down to try to think of a way to focus on the areas of my home a little more deeply.  The Monthly Home Blessings are laid out basically room by room, which I like, but right now I feel the need to see some progress in every area of my house all at once.  Hmmm...  After thinking about it, I decided that I would make myself a DAILY FOCUS list and see how it works for me.  I have it split into two weeks so I'll be concentrating on each area around two times a month.

DAILY FOCUS:

Week One -

Monday - Small Bathroom, Catch Up from Weekend
Tuesday - Main Bathroom
Wednesday - Kitchen
Thursday - Master Bedroom
Friday - Living Room
Saturday - Entrance, Front Porch
Sunday - REST

Week Two -

Monday - Dining Room, Catch Up from Weekend
Tuesday - Laundry Room
Wednesday - GraceWorks Area
Thursday - Office / Stamping Room
Friday - Errands or Paper Room
Saturday - Patio, Hallways
Sunday - REST

I want to work in the focus area about 15-45 minutes on the day it is scheduled, cleaning, deep cleaning & decluttering, so I jumped right into the list yesterday and took a look at the main bathroom.  I planned to declutter first, but I decided that it was time the bathroom had a really good cleaning, so I started there.  When I started to clean the toilet I realized that the toilet brush had really gotten nasty, so I pulled out a Shopping List sheet and jotted it down.  The shower curtain rod was rusty, too, so that went on the list as well, along with some new mini blinds or curtains to replace the "we'll just use this piece of fabric until we can find something better" that has been hanging there since we moved in 9 years ago... (Yes, I'm serious!  I'm sorry to say that window treatments have been a source of paralyzation for years...).  When I finished up I pulled out a Journal page and wrote the name of the room on the top and what I did in the first section.  There are six sections per page, so I should be able to keep track of things for about 3 months on one sheet.  Here's mine from yesterday...


I used a little post it note to remind me where I would like to start next time.  Later in the afternoon I stopped at Walmart after I dropped the GraceWorks orders off at the Post Office.  The mini blinds were all out - they are a hot seller in our little college town! - but I found a toilet bowl brush so that was good.  It was when I was looking for a shower curtain rod that I saw it.  A package including a shower curtain, rings and two rugs for $15.00!  I was so thrilled.  I really wanted to make a wise decision, so I thought about it...  It was in the colors that Paul and I had decided we liked as an overall theme for the house.  It was inexpensive.  It would match most of what we had, with a few exceptions.  It was perfect!  But what about the window??  I couldn't leave up that horrible piece of fabric, and there were no blinds.  Hmmm.  I trotted back to the curtain aisle with my find in hand and found a beautiful set of inexpensive curtains that were just the right length and would coordinate the shower curtain with my current wall color - a warm creamy yellow.  That settled it.  I picked up 2 towels and 2 hand towels to replace the previous accent color and went home to - GASP - redecorate!!  Here's a quick picture that I snapped with my cell phone for my daughter.  I think I should have run the shower curtain through the dryer with a wet towel to take out some of the wrinkles, but I was too impatient.  I will be working on that this year!!


Thank you, friends, for all your sweet comments and emails after my last post.  I love that you are going to join me on my journey.  May God richly encourage you as you have encouraged me!!

All right - I need to get started on today's project... the kitchen!  Talk to you in a day or two!

Blessings!

Tricia

No comments: